Breaded okra is a tasty and crispy meal that many people around the world love. However, they are typically deep-fried and are hence not healthy. Air fryers are an excellent alternative to this. They are known for their ability to create crispy food while using less oil. That is why many people wonder if you can cook breaded okra in an air fryer.
Yes, you can cook breaded okra in an air fryer. Simply preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and add your breaded okra in a single layer. Spray a little oil over them and cook for 12 minutes. Remember to shake the basket halfway through the cooking time.
How to cook breaded okra in an air fryer
Making breaded okra in an air fryer is a straightforward process. Here is a step-by-step guide:
- First of all, preheat your air fryer to 370 degrees Fahrenheit. Now, cut your okra into thick pieces.
- Meanwhile, prepare the batter for coating the okra. Beat two eggs in a bowl. Then add some flour and breadcrumbs into two separate bowls. Add some spices of your choice to the flour and mix it thoroughly.
- Now, pick up your okra using a fork and dip it into the flour mixture, then into the eggs, and finally in the breadcrumbs. Repeat this process until all okras are successfully coated.
- Once the air fryer is preheated, place all your breaded/coated okra in the air fryer and spray some oil on it.
- Air fry for 8 to 12 minutes in total.
- Halfway through the cooking process, open the air fryer and toss/shake the okra around. This ensures even cooking and browning on all sides.
- Once the 12 minutes have passed, check the okra. If they are not done, let them cook for another 40 to 50 seconds and then take them out.
Did you know that you can also make a pot pie in an air fryer? Go through our article to learn how!
How to air-fry frozen breaded okra
The process is pretty similar if you want to air-fry frozen breaded okras. You don’t need to coat them in eggs, flour, etc, as they are already breaded beforehand. However, there are some slight adjustments you will need to make:
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit instead of 370 degrees.
- Frozen okras take more time to cook than fresh okras, as they first need to get rid of the moisture inside them. Hence, you’ll need to increase the cooking time from 12 minutes to 15 minutes.
- Remember to toss the okra halfway through the cooking time.
You can cook breaded okra in an air fryer as it is a healthier alternative to deep-frying. Following the step-by-step guide provided above, breaded okra can easily be cooked to a crispy and tender texture. The process is pretty simple and can be done with both frozen and fresh okra alike. Happy cooking!