Kiwi is one of the most loved fruits with great sour plus sweet flavor. People who love snacking on kiwi usually wonder whether it is possible to dehydrate their favorite fruit to store it long-term.
We are here, with all your answers! In this article, you will come across answers to all your queries related to the dehydration of kiwis.
Yes, it is possible to dehydrate kiwi. In fact, dehydrated kiwi retains an equal amount of nutritious value as regular kiwi. Although dehydrating kiwi will make it lose all its water content resulting in shrinkage, the health benefits remain the same. Moreover, you will observe increased taste in dried kiwis as compared to fresh kiwis.
How to dehydrate kiwi properly?
People tend to employ various approaches in order to dehydrate kiwi. We have briefly discussed 3 super-easy and uncomplicated methods that will aid you in drying kiwi properly.
Method 1: Dehydrating kiwi in a dehydrator
This is one of the simplest methods that you can employ. Using a dehydrator to dry the kiwi will get the job completed quickly without any mess!
Step: 1 Peel and slice the kiwi
- You need to peel the kiwi’s skin by using either a vegetable peeler or a thin knife.
- Now, chop the kiwi into thin slices. Make sure you cut each slice not more than ¼ inches thick. Just like when dehydrating mushrooms, kiwi also needs to be cut in uniformly thin slices to ensure even dehydration among all the slices.
Step: 2 Placing kiwi in the dehydrator
- Place the sliced kiwi on the dehydrator tray, make sure to leave a gap of 1/2 inches among the slices to ensure sufficient airflow.
- Now, set the dehydrator’s temperature to 135 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put the tray with sliced kiwi in the dehydrator. Make sure to examine the kiwi after 6 hours. It might take up to 12 hours for the kiwi to dry completely, depending on how thin you have cut each slice.
Method 2: Dehydrating kiwi in an oven
This method results in more chips like texture and crunch of dried kiwi. However, using an oven to dry kiwi will do the job perfectly!
Step: 1 Peel and slice the kiwi
- Grab either a peeler or a thin knife and peel the kiwi.
- Slice down the kiwi into thin slices. You must keep in mind to cut down each slice into similar thickness; this will ensure that each slice requires the same amount of time to dehydrate.
Step: 2 Placing kiwi in the oven
- Grab a cookie sheet and place all the kiwi slices on it. Make sure to leave some gaps among them to ensure airflow.
- Set the oven temperature at 250 F degrees and place the cookie sheet in the oven.
- Leave the kiwi inside the oven for around 2-3 hours; make sure to keep checking them now and then. In case you feel that the kiwi has not dried completely, leave it in the oven for some more time.
Tip: Make sure to never leave the kiwi unattended inside the oven, or else it might end up burning.
Method 3: Dehydrating kiwi in an air fryer
You must be wondering how someone can dehydrate kiwi in an air fryer? It is absolutely possible; in fact, it is quite an easy method to dry kiwi in an air fryer. Hence, if you own an air fryer, you can conveniently make use of it to dry kiwi.
Step: 1 Peel and slice the kiwi
- Surprisingly, with the air fryer, you can even dehydrate the kiwi without getting rid of its skin. However, if you do not fancy consuming dried kiwi with its skin, you can peel it.
- Chop down the kiwi into thin slices. Make sure each slice is not more than ¼ inches thick.
Step: 2 Placing the kiwi in an air fryer
- Place all the slices of kiwi on a cookie sheet. Make sure to leave gaps among them to provide room for airflow.
- Make use of the dehydrating mode on your air fryer.
- In case your air fryer lacks the dehydrating setting, you can still utilize the air fryer by setting its temperature to 130 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the cookie sheet inside the air fryer and leave it for 4 hours.
What is the best way to dehydrate kiwi?
Among all the different methods, the best method for dehydration of kiwi is using a dehydrator. As the name suggests, the dehydrator’s sole purpose is to dry out anything that is placed inside it. Hence, chopping the kiwi and arranging them in a dehydrator’s rack while setting the temperature to 135°F is the ideal method for dehydration.
In case you do not own a dehydrator, you can dry the kiwi in an oven by setting the temperature as low as possible. However, making use of the dehydrator is an ideal method.
How to store dehydrated kiwi?
Ensure that the kiwi has cooled down sufficiently before storing it. After it has cooled down, place it in an air-tight container, this can either be a glass or plastic container, but it needs to be air-tight. Lastly, keep the container with dried kiwi in a dark, cool place such as your pantry or a cabinet.
In case you reside in an area where the air humidity level is higher than usual, it is recommended that you store dried kiwi in the freezer or a refrigerator to ensure that it does not rot and stays fine.
How long do dehydrated kiwis last?
Well dried and properly stored kiwi can last up to 6-12 months at average room temperature.
Does dried kiwi taste good?
Dried kiwi has a refreshing green color which is a pleasurable sight, but the taste of dried kiwi is more pleasurable. It has a toothsome sweet taste with a little amount of tanginess. Moreover, dried kiwi is packed with an abundance of fibers and nutrients.
Is dry kiwi good for health?
Dried kiwis possess excellent health benefits. They are rich in antioxidants that boost immunity and help prevent respiratory diseases. Moreover, the fiber in dried kiwis benefits the digestive system. Along with all these benefits, dried kiwi is a powerful source of various vitamins.
Does dried kiwi have fiber?
It has been observed that dehydrated kiwis have less fat content and more minerals and fibers. In fact, dried kiwi is packed with an abundance of fiber that ensures great digestive system health.
Before we conclude, enhance your knowledge on dry fruits by reading this article on how you can dehydrate olives!
Wrapping up our thoughts on dehydrating kiwi!
Dehydration is an excellent approach to preserving your favorite fruits’ flavor, such as kiwi, for long-term storage. Apart from proper storage, dehydration contributes to the increased flavor and taste of the kiwi. Moreover, dried kiwi serves as an ideal topping for granolas and various dishes.
So, what are you waiting for? Implement any of the methods mentioned above and enjoy the burst of flavors that dried kiwi offers!