One of the healthiest yet yummiest snacks out there is watermelon jerky which can be enjoyed as an evening snack or on various things like breakfast bowls. You can get watermelon jerky in stores, but can you make these treats at home too? For doing so, can you dehydrate watermelon to make these fruity snacks? Let’s dive in!
Yes, you can dehydrate watermelon at home using a dehydrator or an oven. Grab some parchment paper and place the watermelon pieces on dehydrator trays. Set the temperature to 135°F and dry the watermelon pieces for 8 to 18 hours. Flip the pieces after 4 to 5 hours and continue drying until their texture becomes leathery.
Tips for dehydrating watermelon
- No dehydrator? No problem. Head over to your trusty oven and turn it to its lowest setting. Note that an oven will produce more heat; hence it will require less time. Don’t worry if your dehydrated watermelons look brownish; it’s because of the intense oven heat that causes the sugars to be more caramelized.
- It’s best to separate the dried watermelon pieces with parchment paper when you store them. This will prevent them from sticking together.
- Keep your dehydrated watermelon in an airtight jar to enjoy them for a week.
- To achieve the best results when dehydrating, make sure that each watermelon slice is of ¼ inches thickness.
- Take the seeds out of the watermelon before dehydrating them to avoid an unpleasant bitter taste.
- If the dehydrated watermelon pieces stick to the tray because of a delay in removing them, reheat them. After a few minutes, they will have loosened from the surface.
- If you plan to add more flavor, don’t go overboard with it because the dehydration process might make it unpleasantly potent.
How do you dehydrate watermelon?
To dehydrate watermelon, you need to go through a few simple steps using either an oven or a dehydrator.
How do you dehydrate watermelon in a dehydrator?
- Cut your fresh watermelon into ¼-inch thick slices after removing the rind.
- Put your watermelon on a dehydrator tray over the sink for 15 minutes to get rid of some of the moisture.
- Place parchment paper on your dehydrator trays and put your slices on them. Make sure to leave some distance between each slice.
- Set your dehydrator to 135°F and dehydrate your watermelon slices for 8 to 18 hours.
- Flip the watermelon slices after 4 to 5 hours to prevent sticking. The end result should be leathery, not sticky.
- Condition your dehydrated watermelon if you plan to use them for over a week. It’s best to store them in the refrigerator in any case.
- Keep your watermelon jerky in an airtight jar, and it will last you for 3 to 6 months! Wrap it up in parchment paper to prevent the pieces from sticking.
How do you dehydrate watermelon in an oven?
- Cut your watermelon into thin ¼-inch watermelon slices.
- Put parchment paper over the baking sheet and place the watermelon slices on it.
- Set your temperature to 200°F and keep the pieces in the oven for 16 hours.
- Once you see a leathery texture, the slices have dehydrated enough.
- Remove the jerky, and keep it in an airtight container. Make sure to place parchment paper between the dehydrated watermelon slices to avoid sticking.
Can you rehydrate dehydrated watermelon?
Yes, you can! Just keep your dehydrated watermelon slices in cold water for about 3 hours. They won’t get their crispness back but will have that fresh watermelon taste.
How long is dehydrated watermelon good for?
Dehydrated watermelon can last you 2 weeks in a tightly sealed container. Keep it in an airtight jar in the fridge to store it longer.
How long does watermelon take to dehydrate?
Watermelon takes 8 to 12 hours for dehydration using a dehydrator. In an oven, it takes about 12 to 16 hours. The time duration can vary due to the water content in the watermelon.
How do you store dehydrated watermelon?
Keep parchment between the dehydrated watermelon pieces and keep them in an airtight jar to get the longest out of them.
Can you freeze dehydrated watermelon?
Yes! You can freeze dehydrated watermelon just like watermelon chunks. However, it is better to keep them in the refrigerator so that they don’t become incredibly hard.
Related FAQs to dehydrating and watermelon!
What does dehydrated watermelon taste like?
Dehydrated watermelon tastes like a super-rich watermelon flavored Fruit Roll-Up.
What can you do with dried watermelon?
You can use dried watermelon as snacks (watermelon jerky), cereals, smoothies, granola, or any other desserts!
Can dogs eat dehydrated watermelon?
Yes! Dehydrated watermelons can be a great treat for your dogs as long as they are seedless and the rind is removed. Be sure to feed them in moderation.
Concluding our thoughts on dehydrating watermelon!
You can dehydrate watermelon and enjoy it in a myriad of meals! Not only does dehydrated watermelon taste amazing, but it is extremely healthy as well.
You should use a dehydrator for best results, but an oven can do the trick too. You can enjoy delicious watermelon jerky for 3 to 6 months if you store it correctly! Spend a day and enjoy this delicious and versatile snack!
On our recommendation make sure to read this article on can you dehydrate olives?