Drying herbs is an important process that is needed for many culinary purposes. It allows preservation and extends the shelf life of herbs. It also intensifies their flavor and aroma. However, not everyone has time to dry herbs, which is why many people wonder if they can quickly dry herbs in an air fryer.
Yes, you can dry herbs in an air fryer. Just put your herbs in the air fryer basket in a single layer and air fry for 3 to 4 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Remember to keep a metal rack on top of the herbs or tie them with twine so they can’t fly around the unit.
Easy method to dry herbs in an air fryer
To dry herbs in an air fryer, follow these steps:
- Firstly, cut off any stems or unnecessary parts from the herbs.
- Then wash them thoroughly with cold water and pat dry.
- Place them in the air fryer in a single layer.
- Put something above these herbs, like a rack, which will prevent them from flying around and causing problems.
- Set your air fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and put the basket back in.
- Air fryer for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Keep checking on the herbs every 40 seconds. When the size has shrunk, and the herbs look crispy, this means that they have been dried. This usually takes between 3 to 5 minutes.
- Take the basket out and let the herbs cool on parchment paper before using them.
Want to learn how to dehydrate peppers in an air fryer? We’ve got the right way to do it!
Dehydrating herbs in an air fryer
You should know that dry herbs are different from dehydrated herbs. Dry herbs still contain some moisture, whereas dehydrated herbs do not. In order to completely dehydrate herbs using an air fryer, you will need to make some adjustments to the method above.
We will use a lower temperature over a longer period, allowing all the moisture to be removed. So instead of air frying the herbs at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 3 minutes, we will use 120 degrees Fahrenheit for around 1 to 3 hours. This time depends on the kind of herb and the amount you are dehydrating.
Wondering what the proper way to dehydrate strawberries and figs in an air fryer is? Learn with us now!
Storing dried herbs
We recommend using an air-tight sealed container or bag to store your dried or dehydrated herbs. This will ensure a longer shelf life than usual.
An air fryer provides a great way to dry herbs if you do not have access to a dehydrator. It can also be used to completely dehydrate the herbs rather than just drying them. Both processes are simple and have been thoroughly discussed in the previous paragraphs. Happy drying!