Are Enamel Plates Microwave Safe?

are enamel plates microwave safe

Enamelware has become pretty popular in households nowadays. This is due to its many benefits, like being easy to clean and being less vulnerable to scratches. Enamelware is also really durable and can even last for decades if properly taken care of. This is why many people wonder whether they can microwave enamel plates. 

No, enamel plates or anything made out of enamel should not be microwaved. This is because it has several metallic properties, making it unsuitable for microwave use. 

What will happen if you microwave enamel 

Enamel plate coatings contain many metallic minerals that reflect the heat back to the microwave. Microwaving enamel is like microwaving metal

Are old Pyrex bowls microwave safe? Moreover, can you microwave Farberware bowls? Learn here!

Because of these reasons, it may start malfunctioning or even sparking. In extreme scenarios, the microwave can explode and start a fire in your home.

However, sometimes, if you are lucky, nothing will happen if you microwave enamel. But it is better not to take the risk and stay safe! Here’s how to take care of your enamelware.

Learn whether Comotomo bottles can be microwaved or not, now!

How to heat enamel plates 

There are other ways you can heat your enamel plates instead of using a microwave: 

Using a stove

You can put your enamel plate on top of your gas stove. Enamel plates are excellent heat conductors and get hot very quickly; hence they can easily be used on stovetops.

You may also use an electric stove for this purpose. Just make sure that you check on the plate after every 15 seconds, as it can burn quickly. 

Using oven

You may also heat your enamelware in the oven. As the oven works differently than a microwave, it can be used with enamel plates. 

Note: Be aware that your plates might wear down over time if frequently heated using these methods. 

Are microwave bowls oven safe? Find out here!

Final thoughts 

Enamel plates should not be used in a microwave. Sometimes, you may get lucky, and nothing will happen. But most of the time, it results in dangerous consequences like a microwave explosion and an electrical fire. 

Rate your thought on this post

Immad Amir

Hey there, I'm Immad! I'm an SEO and appliance fanatic. Amna, my fiance, and I combined our interests and came up with RavvyReviews to help you all with our well-researched kitchen appliance reviews and foodie informative articles. We aim to learn more along the way and keep bringing you authentic trustworthy articles so all of us can have fun in the kitchen! We love interacting with you guys, do share yours thoughts in the comments. Get in touch with me through info@ravvyreviews.com

Recent Updates

We use cookies in order to give you the best possible experience on our website. By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies.
Accept
Privacy Policy