Companies measure the size of an oven according to its cooking capacity. Although the capacity is a significant feature, the oven’s external dimensions are equally crucial. You must take note of the microwave oven size in inches before you buy a microwave.
Are you wondering why the external dimensions are vital? Can you imagine buying an oven that doesn’t fit your desired spot in your kitchen?
Gosh, this can be a nightmare. Buying an oven before doing your homework can cause huge drawbacks.
There are multiple categories of a microwave. Each category has a standard size. But microwave companies are not bound to make their product according to the standard sizes. According to research, 27-30-inch wide countertop microwaves are the bestsellers for decades.
Likewise, each category of ovens has a variety of different sizes that people love around the world. Let us discuss the dimensions of countertop microwave ovens, built-in microwave ovens, and over-the-range microwave ovens in detail!
Countertop microwave oven size in inches!
As the name suggests, these ovens are built to sit on the countertop of your kitchen. Since these ovens take the useful space that can be used for storage or work, these ovens are relatively smaller than built-in microwaves.
The countertop convection microwave ovens are generally less expensive and don’t require installation. Just unbox the appliance and place it on the countertop and it’s ready to use!
Countertop ovens usually have 1 to 1.9 cubic feet cooking cavity. Smaller variants have as low as 0.5 cubic feet of storage. While larger ovens go up to a whopping 2.2 cubic feet of capacity.
The external dimensions of countertop ovens vary. Countertops are normally 10 to 16 inches tall and 17 to 24 inches wide. While the depth of these ovens varies from 12 to 23 inches depending upon the variant you choose.
Read this guide on the best commercial microwaves. It contains both medium-duty and heavy-duty microwave options!
Built-in microwave oven size in inches!
Built-in microwaves are expensive because they premium features like steam cooking, and require an expert to install. These ovens do not utilize the countertop, hence giving you more storage space.
A custom vent in your kitchen’s cabinetry is compulsory for a built-in microwave oven. According to the size of the vent, you can choose a suitable built-in oven.
In contrast to countertops, built-in microwaves are bulky and have more cooking capacity. The internal cavity of these ovens has up to 2.2 cubic feet of storage. While the external size of the built-ins varies from brand to brand. Usually, the built-in microwaves are 15 to 18 inches tall while its width and depth are around 22 inches.
Over-the-range microwave oven size in inches!
Over-the-range microwaves are like built-in ovens but with a few extra features. These microwaves are designed to fit above the cooking ranges. That explains why these ovens have a built-in venting system.
Over-the-range ovens free up countertop space, but for a higher price. In contrast to built-in microwaves, these ovens are much smaller and have low variations in size. The cooking capacity of these ovens ranges from 1.5 to 2.2 cubic feet.
The external parameters are identical to built-in microwave ovens. A standard over-the-range microwave oven is 29-30 inches wide, 15-16 inches deep, and 16-18 inches tall.
There you have it, all the type of microwave oven size in inches! The sizes in this article are standard dimensions that multinational companies use to design their microwaves. If your favorite microwave oven has an unusual size, let us know in the comment below!
Here’s an article on best-selling steam ovens that you may like! Check it out as well!
- Bake 3 ingredient cookies in microwave
- Is microwave harmful to health?
- What distance is safe from a microwave?
- Can a microwave be unsafe to use?
- What are the uses of convection microwave ovens
- Microwave oven history
- Sponge cake in a microwave tips
- Cooking microwave omelet in a cup
- How to reheat frozen pizza in a microwave
- Can a microwave oven make popcorns?
- Best rated countertop convection microwaves
- Best budget microwaves under $150
- Top rated electric wall ovens for baking
- Best commercial microwave ovens
- Best countertop steam ovens
- Different cake recipes with microwave oven
- Sponge cake recipes with microwave oven
- Is a microwave better than an oven?
- Microwave tips and tricks
- What are the different types of microwave ovens?
- What brands to consider while buying a microwave oven
- How to clean a microwave oven from inside?
- How to reheat a sandwich with microwave oven?
- Steam cooking and its advantages
- How to cook zucchini noodles in microwave