Everyone adores sponge cakes. With how airy, fluffy, and delicious they are, there’s no way you could dislike a simple sponge cake. Now, eating sponge cakes is what everyone loves but when it comes down to making them, the biggest problem is TIME. But, don’t fret for we’ve got the best solution for that! Cue drum roll… microwave sponge cake! We’ve compiled a list of 5 super amazing microwave sponge cake recipes, in different styles, just for you.
Now, you must be wondering, “How can I get the perfect fluffy sponge cake inside a plain old microwave oven?”. Well, it ain’t that difficult honey! For tips on how to achieve the perfect sponge cake in a microwave, check out Best Microwave Oven Sponge Cake Tips!
Let’s get into the recipes!
Microwave Sponge Cake Recipes
1. Microwave Sponge Cake
First of all, we present to you this amazing sponge cake recipe by Australia’s Best Recipes! Not only will this recipe yield a fluffy mouth-melting sponge cake, but the cake will also get ready in no more than 10 minutes! Say goodbye to waiting for hours to get the perfect sponge cake. With a microwave oven, everything will happen in a quick flash!
This simple recipe uses a bowl to cook a broad sponge cake, follow the steps below to get the perfect outcome!
- 2 eggs
- 10 tablespoons or 150mL milk
- 10 tablespoons or 150mL oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 10 tablespoons or 150g sugar
- one cup plain flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- Take a plain bowl and mix in 2 eggs, 10 tablespoons or 150mL of milk, 10 tablespoons or 150mL of oil, 10 tablespoons or 150g of sugar, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence.
- Now, fold in one cup of plain flour and about 3 teaspoons of baking powder.
- Once the batter is ready, line a microwave-safe bowl with a paper towel.
- Pour in the batter and pop the bowl into the oven for 5 to 6 minutes on high. Do not leave the cake in for longer!
- Once done, take the cake out. It should seem a little wet on the top, that’s how you’ll know that it is cooked just right.
- Let it cool at room temperature.
And your microwave sponge cake in a bowl is all ready! This is probably our favorite microwave sponge cake recipe that produces the fluffiest sponge cake ever. Do give it a try!
2. Microwave Mug Sponge Cake
Now that we’ve got a sponge cake in a bowl down, let’s make it ten times easier for you! We bring you, sponge cake in a mug! You can cook so many things in a mug, all you have to do is just to pop all the ingredients into the mug and voila, your food is ready within minutes!
This recipe by Gemma’s Bigger Bolder Baking presents a super fast and delicious mug sponge cake recipe, that serves one person but you can always share. And it is one of the easiest microwave sponge cake recipes! To get this ultra-soft sponge cake, follow the following recipes!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- pinch of salt
- half cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons plain flour
- quarter teaspoon baking powder
- Take 2 tablespoons of butter in a microwaveable mug and melt them for about 20 to 30 seconds inside the microwave.
- Now, add 1 large egg into this melted butter and whisk it with a fork to get a proper mixture.
- Add in 2 tablespoons of milk, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 6 tablespoons of flour, half a cup of sugar, a quarter teaspoon of baking powder, and a teeny tiny pinch of salt. Mix well until you get a smooth consistency.
- Place the mug inside the microwave for 1 minute and 20 seconds.
- Once done, take the mug out and let it cool for a few minutes at room temperature. Enjoy it once it’s at the temperature you desire!
Wasn’t that one of the easiest cake methods you’ve ever read? Then go ahead and give it a try! We’re sure that you’ll love it.
3. Brown Butter Sponge Cakes
Here’s a unique recipe from Food & Wine, by Richard Blais, to make sponge cakes in a countertop convection microwave. This recipe goes out of the box by utilizing new techniques to produce our lovely old sponge cake but with a more airy and fluffy twist.
Blais uses a siphon for making the cake airy rather than using baking powder or baking soda for the same purpose. This fancy recipe might not be for everyone but if you have a siphon lying around the house then, believe me, you’ll be producing the world’s softest microwave sponge cake in no time!
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- half teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- half a cup and 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Take 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter in a saucepan and cook it on normal heat until it takes a deep brown shade. Cool it down.
- Now, in a bowl, add in 4 large eggs, half a teaspoon of salt, 3 tablespoons of sugar, and whisk these ingredients well.
- Put in 3 tablespoons of whole milk, half a cup and 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour, and the brown butter we made previously. Whisk the batter until it’s smooth.
- Now, pour the whole batter into the canister of a 1-pint iSi Gourmet Whip Plus siphon.
- You have to seal the siphon then and charge it with 1 iSi cream (N2O) cartridge. Do read the instructions by the manufacturer.
- Shake the siphon well.
- Now, take a cooking spray and thoroughly coat the insides of a total of eight 8-ounce wax-coated paper cups with it.
- Pour the batter from the siphon into the paper cups, filling about one-third of each cup.
- Now, one by one put each cup into the microwave and cook for 45 seconds.
- Once done, take the cup out and turn it upside down. Leave it in that position for a minute. This would loosen the cake from the sides of the cup and you’ll be able to remove the cups easily.
- Finally, serve once you’re done with all the cups.
Whew, that was one heck of a sophisticated recipe. If you want gourmet-style sponge cakes then try this recipe out!
4. Microwave Vegan Sponge Cake
Who says that vegans can’t enjoy a yummy sponge cake? Well, this microwave sponge cake recipe from Spark Recipes is perfect for all those who follow a vegan diet. The supplements of all the animal-based ingredients yield a sponge cake just as yummy as the usual sponge cake!
Satisfy yourself with this healthy and scrumptious vegan sponge cake right now, it bakes only in 6 minutes. Let’s go through the recipe!
- 3/4th cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 tablespoons brown sugar blend
- 22 tablespoons or 275g self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Get a bowl and add 3/4th cup of water and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, stir the two well.
- Now, add in about 7 tablespoons of brown sugar blend, 22 tablespoons or 275g of self-raising flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder and a pinch of salt.
- Mix all the ingredients until you have a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into a microwaveable bowl and microwave it for 6 minutes.
- Once cooked, take the bowl out and let the cake cool at room temperature.
- Cut it up into slices and serve once it’s cool enough!
This super easy microwave sponge cake recipe produces enough cake for 10 persons. Enjoy it at teatime or serve it as a dessert, you can do so much with this yummy cake!
Here’s another article that you’ll find interesting. Click here to check RavvyReviews list of budget-friendly microwaves in 2020!
5. Microwave Gluten-Free Fluffy Sponge Cake
For all our readers who are on a gluten-free diet, you have nothing to fear! You can now enjoy sponge cake to its fullest through this amazing recipe by All Recipes. With this microwave sponge cake recipe, the resulting airy sponge cake will please your palette. It is enriched with the most basic ingredients that everyone has.
This sponge cake gets cooked in less than 2 minutes! You won’t have to wait around for a good cake anymore, ensure that you eat a fluffy cake packed with only gluten-free ingredients. It’s cooking time!
- 1 tablespoon sorghum flour
- 1 tablespoon quinoa flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon millet flour
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 and a half teaspoon ground cinnamon
- half a teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 and a half teaspoon butter
- butter for greasing the bowl
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Take a microwave-safe bowl and grease it with butter.
- Now, add in 2 eggs and whisk them well.
- Add 1 tablespoon of sorghum flour, 1 tablespoon of quinoa flour, 1 tablespoon of millet flour, 1 tablespoon of baking powder, 2 tablespoons of white sugar, 1 and a half teaspoon of ground cinnamon and mix these ingredients well.
- Put in 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, 1 and a half teaspoon of butter, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and half a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Mix the batter till you get a smooth consistency.
- Pop the bowl into the microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds. If the cake isn’t cooked through then microwave for 30 more seconds.
And your gluten-free sponge cake is ready! Enjoy it with one more person as this cake is for 2 persons. Happy eating!
Sponge cakes are loved by all and here we bring you 5 unique microwave sponge cake recipes to craft your very own sponge cake! We hope you learned a lot from this article today and chose your favorite microwave sponge cake recipe. Take this inspiration with you and cook the most delicious sponge cake ever. We’re all rooting for you!
If you want to go through more awesome recipes like this one then be sure to check out our other articles as well. We’ve compiled huge lists of easy microwave oven sponge cake recipes that will please your appetite as soon as possible. Ciao for now!