Boiled eggs are the ultimate protein source, and they serve as an ideal snack. You can prepare boiled eggs in literally no time! Be it breakfast, lunch, or dinner, boiled eggs are always your savior. People tend to stock up on boiled eggs in case of an emergency. This brings us to the big question: Can you reheat boiled eggs?
If you are also wondering the same, there is no need to worry anymore. We are here to resolve all your queries regarding reheating boiled eggs. Keep reading!
Can you reheat boiled eggs?
Yes, you can reheat boiled eggs. However, you need to be cautious regarding a few pointers while reheating boiled eggs, especially if you use a microwave for reheating. While reheating hard-boiled eggs, you can remove the shell and cut the egg in half for quick reheating, depending on your chosen reheating method.
Different ways to reheat boiled eggs
You can use different methods to reheat boiled eggs, which mainly differ in the equipment used. You can reheat boiled eggs in the oven, microwave, steamer, and using hot water. Let’s learn about these methods to help you reheat boiled eggs without ruining them!
Can you reheat boiled eggs in the oven?
Yes, you can reheat boiled eggs in the oven. This is an ideal method for reheating both shelled and peeled boiled eggs. Here’s what you need to do to reheat boiled eggs in the oven:
- Grab an oven-safe dish, and place boiled eggs in it.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the boiled eggs in the oven and let them reheat for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let them reheat for 25 to 30 minutes if the eggs are frozen.
Can you reheat boiled eggs in the microwave?
Yes, you can reheat boiled eggs in the microwave. You must peel the boiled eggs before heating them in the microwave, though. If the eggs are heated with the shell, they can explode due to the pressure building up in the shell. Hence, always peel the boiled eggs before reheating them in the microwave as a precautionary measure.
Here’s what you need to do to reheat boiled eggs in the microwave:
- Deshell the egg and cut it in half. This will reduce the reheating time.
- Place the boiled egg pieces in a microwave-safe dish.
- Put the microwave-safe dish in the microwave at a medium heat setting.
- Let the boiled eggs reheat at 10-seconds intervals until they are warmed to your desired level.
Tip: Heat the boiled eggs in short intervals to prevent the egg yolk from bursting.
Can you reheat boiled eggs using hot water?
This is the safest way for reheating both peeled and shelled eggs. You’ll just need to put in a little more effort than you would when using a microwave. Here’s what you need to do to reheat boiled eggs using hot water:
- Grab a bowl.
- Place the boiled eggs in that bowl.
- Grab a kettle, and boil water in it. Make sure to boil enough water to submerge all the boiled eggs present in the bowl.
- Once boiled, pour it into the bowl and let your boiled eggs sit in the warm water for about 10 minutes or until they reach the level of warmth that you desire.
Can you reheat boiled eggs in a steamer?
Using a steamer for reheating is the perfect way to get shelled eggs warm.
- Fill the steamer basket with 1 inch of water and let it heat on high until it boils.
- Reduce the temperature to medium and put the boiled eggs in the steamer.
- Cover the steamer basket and let the boiled eggs reheat for 3-5 minutes.
- Turn off the steamer, and carefully take out your reheated boiled eggs.
How to reheat soft-boiled eggs?
Here is how you can reheat soft-boiled eggs effortlessly:
- Grab a medium-sized saucepan and boil half an inch of water in it.
- Carefully place your soft-boiled eggs in the boiling water.
- Cover the saucepan and let your soft-boiled eggs reheat for around 3 ½ minutes.
- Once the eggs are reheated, scoop them out and enjoy them after peeling!
Can you reheat boiled eggs twice?
Yes, you can safely reheat boiled eggs twice. Here’s what you need to do:
- Grab a heat-resistant bowl or pan and fill it with boiling water.
- Plunk your boiled eggs in the boiling water and make sure they are completely submerged.
- Cover the boiled eggs and let them reheat for 5 minutes.
How long do boiled eggs last?
After being cooked, boiled eggs will only last up to 1 week in the refrigerator. Irrespective of the storing method, boiled eggs can never last for more than 1 week without going bad.
How to store boiled eggs?
The best possible way to store boiled eggs is to keep them in a covered container and store them in the fridge. If the eggs are peeled, wrap them in paper towels before storing them to lock in the moisture.
Can you freeze boiled eggs?
Yes, you can freeze boiled eggs, but only partially. Boiled egg whites tend to turn hard, watery and rubbery when frozen. Hence, it is not advised to freeze them as they would lose their texture and flavor. However, egg yolks can be frozen. Here’s what you need to do to freeze boiled eggs (only yolks):
- Start by hard boiling eggs that you want to freeze.
- Once boiled, separate the egg yolk from the egg white.
Tip: You can use the egg white in salads or other dishes. You can also store them in the refrigerator, but use them within 24-48 hours.
- Put the yolks on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Freeze them for about 1 to 2 hours.
- Take them out and transfer them into a freezer bag. Make sure to arrange them in a single layer.
- Remove the maximum amount of air as possible from the freezer bag and place the bag in the freezer.
Also check this article on reheating egg drop soup!
How to thaw frozen, boiled eggs?
To thaw frozen, boiled eggs (yolks), simply take them out of the freezer and let them thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat once they are soft. You can also thaw frozen egg yolks under cold running water- run the freezer bag under cold water to defrost.
Tip: Never store or refreeze thawed eggs; you should eat them within the next 24-48 hours of thawing.
Continue reading about eggs, here is an article on reheating an omelette.
Can you eat cold hard-boiled eggs?
Yes, you can safely consume cold hard-boiled eggs. Although it might not taste appealing, it is entirely safe.
Concluding our thoughts on reheating boiled eggs
There is no denying the fact that boiled eggs make the perfect snack. When it comes to reheating them, low heat and short heating intervals are essential to getting your boiled eggs reheated perfectly without any nuisance.
Keep in mind: if you decide to reheat boiled eggs in the microwave, always remember to peel off the shell before placing the eggs in the microwave, or else you might induce a messy egg explosion!
Here is a quick guide to help you reheat scrambled eggs!