Hot dogs are easy to cook, making them the food of choice for most parties and get-togethers. However, sometimes you may have to deal with leftover hot dogs because you might have made too many of them. This situation might make you wonder: can you reheat hot dogs?
Don’t worry because we know just how to reheat leftover hotdogs that can be consumed the next day! Let’s jump right in!
Yes! You can reheat leftover hot dogs in 7 different ways- in the microwave, oven, air fryer, steamer, frying pan, grill, or even by boiling them!
How to reheat hot dogs?
You can reheat hot dogs in many ways. We have discussed 7 different ways below for you to choose the most convenient one for you. You can also pick the method depending on the number of your hot dogs. Let’s get to it!
How to reheat hot dogs in the microwave
If you’re looking for a quick and convenient way to reheat your hot dogs, then microwaving them is the preferred way! Follow these steps to reheat your hotdogs in the microwave:
- Take your hot dogs and wrap them up in a damp paper towel.
- Place them in the microwave for 20 seconds.
- Reheat at 10-second intervals until they are reheated thoroughly.
- Remove the damp paper towel and serve.
How to reheat hot dogs in the oven
If you have a large batch of hot dogs that you need to reheat, using an oven would be best. Here are the steps to reheating hot dogs in the oven:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet/tray with aluminum foil.
- Place your hot dogs in a single layer on the tray, then cover it with aluminum foil.
- Cook for around 5 minutes or until the color changes.
- Monitor your hotdogs closely to avoid getting them overcooked or burnt.
- Serve immediately.
How to reheat hot dogs in an air fryer
Using your air fryer to reheat hot dogs is another, but it is important to remember that this method might dry them out. Here are the steps to reheating hot dogs in an air fryer:
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place your sausages in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Allow them to heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Flip them over once or twice while they’re heating.
Tip: You can also put your hot dog buns in the air fryer once the sausages are warm.
How to reheat hot dogs in a steamer
You can also conveniently reheat your hot dogs in the steamer basket by following these simple steps:
- Set a steamer basket up and place your sausages in it.
- The sausages should be over a few inches of simmering water.
- Heat the sausages for 3-5 minutes or until warmed thoroughly.
How to reheat hot dogs by boiling
You can also reheat hot dogs on a stovetop by using boiling water. Here’s how:
- Fill a pot with water and bring it to a light boil.
- Place your sausages in the boiling water and heat them for 4-6 minutes.
- Monitor your hotdogs and warm them until they are thoroughly heated.
- Serve immediately.
Note: We don’t recommend using this method as it can make your sausages very watery.
How to reheat hot dogs in a frying pan
Another stovetop method for reheating hot dogs is heating them in a frying pan. Here are the simple steps to reheating your hotdogs in a frying pan.
- Put the frying pan over medium heat and add some butter/oil or water.
- Fry your sausage in the oil or butter until they have browned. This process will take around 5 minutes.
- If you’re using water instead of butter or oil, simply place your sausage in the pan with water, and cover and heat it for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Put the sausages in a hot dog bun, and you’re done!
How to reheat hot dogs on a grill
This is the method to go for if you’re looking for the signature grill marks on your sausages. Here’s how you can reheat your hot dogs on a gas or charcoal grill:
- Place your sausages on the grill.
- Make sure you put them on the comparatively cooler side than the other parts of the grill (don’t put them over direct heat).
- Grill them for a few minutes while turning them in between.
- Serve them hot!
Can you heat up hot dogs twice?
Yes, you can. It is safe to reheat hot dogs more than once. However, it is recommended that you don’t reheat them too much as their quality and taste might diminish.
How long are hot dogs good for after cooked?
Once cooked and stored properly, you can store hot dogs in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. You can even freeze them to increase their shelf life by up to 2 months!
How to store hot dogs & sausages?
If you wish to increase the shelf life of your sausages, then you can achieve this through proper storage.
Store your hotdogs in freezer-safe Ziploc bags or airtight containers. Be mindful that different types of sausages need to be stored differently.
For your ease, we will be discussing all the details below!
Fresh uncooked sausages
Uncooked sausages can keep well in the refrigerator-sealed or opened-for up to 2 days. You can also keep them in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Fresh home-cooked sausage
Sausages cooked at home can be refrigerated for up to 3 days and kept frozen for up to 3 months.
You can keep unopened dry sausages in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks and 3 weeks once they’re opened. You can freeze them for up to 2 months.
Cooked sausages (Hot dogs)
Cooked sausages can be kept unopened in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. It is recommended to consume the hotdogs within 7 days once they are opened. You can freeze them for up to 2 months.
Semi-dry sausages can keep well for up to 3 months in the fridge unopened and 3 weeks after opening. You can freeze them for 2 months.
Related FAQs to reheating hot dogs!
Can you eat cold hot dogs?
If your hot dogs are fully cooked, they are safe to consume when cold. If the package says that the sausages are partially cooked or uncooked, you shouldn’t consume them directly.
Are hot dogs cooked already?
Most hot dogs are cooked already if the package says so. However, whether the hot dogs are cooked or not is mentioned on the package, so you should always double-check first.
Can you eat raw hot dogs?
No! Eating hotdogs directly from the package can be notorious for your health, as suggested by the FDA. Avoid eating them raw or straight out of the package.
Concluding our thoughts on reheating hot dogs
Reheating hot dogs isn’t as complicated as it seems, and with our 7 different methods, it just got a lot easier for you. Simply reheat your hot dogs by opting for the method above that suits you best, and voila! You’ll have perfectly reheated hot dogs in no time!
Continue learning about reheating meals by checking out how to reheat frozen pizza at home!