Kale belongs to the family of cabbage cultivars. The plant is edible and has many nutritional benefits. Due to kale’s low calorie and carbohydrate content, it is considered a diabetes-friendly/weight-friendly vegetable.
If you have loads of leftover kale in your home, you’re probably wondering if you can reheat kale or how you can store it for later use. To find an answer to your query, keep reading on!
Can you reheat kale?
Yes, you can reheat kale but not in a microwave. Leafy green vegetables like spinach, kale, etc., contain a high level of nitrates (very healthy). When these vegetables are heated in a microwave, the nitrates are converted into carcinogenic (cancer-causing) compounds.
If you want to reheat kale, you can use a conventional oven or skillet.
How to reheat kale?
If you are planning on reheating kale, reheat it in a conventional oven rather than a microwave. Follow the guidelines given below to reheat kale.
How to kale in an oven?
To reheat kale in an oven;
- Place the kale in an oven-friendly dish and add some oil to it. You can even add some broth if you want.
- Reheat the kale to 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 to 20 minutes. Keep a check on it from time to time as the leaves turn brown really quickly.
How to kale in a skillet?
You can reheat kale in a skillet just like how you sautéed them using the stove.
To reheat kale in a skillet;
- Add kale and 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a skillet.
- Heat it on low heat for about 8 minutes, and your kale will be as good as new.
Note: The reheating time can vary depending on the amount of kale you are reheating.
How long does kale last?
- Kale can last for up to 3 hours at room temperature.
- Raw kale kept in the refrigerator can last for 5 to 7 days.
- Cooked kale can last for 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator.
- If frozen, kale can last for 10-12 months.
How to store kale?
As it turns out, kale has high staying power. You can store kale in the fridge for at least a week. There are two ways to store kale in the refrigerator. Let’s find them out.
Method 1: Store whole bunches
To store whole bunches;
- Wrap the bunches in a paper towel and pack them in a plastic zip bag or a supermarket bag.
- Store in the fridge where they will be good for at least a week.
Method 2: Store washed and prepped kale
Kale can even be stored when washed and prepped days in advance. To keep kale this way;
- Tear the leaves and rinse them well. Dry them with a kitchen towel or in a salad spinner.
- Wrap the leaves in a paper towel and store them in a zip-top plastic for up to 3 days.
Can you freeze kale?
You can freeze it if you want to save kale to later use it in smoothies. You just have to blanch the kale before freezing them. Blanching kale before freezing will keep its color and taste intact and increase its storage life.
To blanch kale;
- Boil a large bowl of water and fill another large bowl with ice water.
- Cook kale leaves until their color brightens in the boiled water, i.e., for about 2 minutes.
- Now put the leaves into the bowl of ice water to stop cooking and preserve their color.
- Blanch kale leaves the same way for 3 minutes or until they are tender.
Blanched kale can be frozen for up to 6 months.
How to freeze kale?
Here is how you can freeze kale without affecting its nutritional power.
- Remove the washed and dried kale leaves from their stem.
- Place the leaves into a zip-top freezer bag and remove as much air as you can.
- Then, seal the bag tightly and freeze.
Are you enjoying this reheating guide? Check our other reheating guides as well. Here is our recommendation on how to reheat edamame at home!
Related FAQs to reheating kale
What vegetables should not be reheated in a microwave?
Vegetables with high nitrates content, like spinach, kale, carrots, turnip, and even celery, should not be reheated in a microwave. These vegetables can become carcinogenic if reheated in a microwave.
Can you reheat crispy kale?
To reheat crispy kale, preheat the oven to 170 degrees Fahrenheit and heat the chips at a low temperature to prevent their crispiness.
Can you reheat spinach?
Yes, you can reheat spinach. Warm it slowly on low heat to reheat it properly no matter which appliance you use.
Final thoughts on reheating kale
Kale is rich in nitrates; therefore, reheating it in a microwave is not recommended. Doing so will make it carcinogenic. However, it is possible to reheat them in an oven or in a skillet on a stove. You can also boil the kale. We recommend blanching the kale before freezing them to preserve its color and taste.
Here is another quick guide on reheating broccoli that may help you while cooking!