Don’t we all love donuts? These round fluffy delights are everyone’s favorite. Some people like to have them cold, some like them at room temperature, and some like their donuts warm. If you belong to the latter group, this article is for you!
If you’re worried about ruining the texture of your donuts and are not sure whether you can reheat donuts, this article will help you reheat your donuts and bring back their lovely taste. Let’s get into it!
Can you reheat donuts?
Yes, you can. You can reheat donuts in the oven, microwave, air fryer, toaster oven, or a pan. Just place your donut on a microwave-safe dish and pop it in the oven for 20-30 seconds on medium.
Note: Just remember that you’re at the risk of drying the donut out if you reheat it for too long, so make sure you follow the steps correctly!
We will be discussing the 5 methods below so you can opt for the one that’s most feasible for you!
Methods to reheat donuts
There are many ways to reheat donuts to restore their soft, airy texture. You can bring back their incredible flavor by reheating them properly to enjoy your leftover donuts fresh and delicious!
How to reheat donuts in an oven?
If you have a big box of leftover donuts and want to reheat them all together, this is the best method for you. Follow these steps to reheat your donuts in the oven:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Use a baking tray. Line the tray with parchment paper to catch any toppings. Place a wire rack on it over it. Then place your donuts on it.
- Reheat them in the oven for 4-5 minutes. Make sure you monitor the donuts because overheating will dry them out.
- If your donuts are stale, sprinkle them with a bit of water and then cover them with foil before heating.
- Serve your donuts immediately once they’re warm.
How to reheat donuts in a microwave?
Reheating donuts in the microwave delivers the best results! Donuts reheated in the microwave are incredibly soft and airy. Here’s how you reheat donuts in the microwave:
- Take a microwave-safe plate and put your donuts on it.
- Cover your donuts with a piece of damp paper towel if your donuts are stale.
- Microwave the donuts on medium-high heat for 20 to 30 seconds. Check between 10-second intervals so the donuts don’t dry out excessively. If they are warm and soft to touch, you’re good to go!
- Serve immediately once they are warm.
How to reheat donuts in an air fryer?
If you want to reheat your donuts in an air fryer, you can do so by following these steps. Remember, the air fryer doesn’t help much with stale donuts. Here’s what you need to do:
- Set the air fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wrap your donuts up in parchment paper and place them in the air fryer. This prevents the toppings from dripping and messing with your air fryer.
- Air fry for up to 5 minutes. Monitor your donuts so they don’t dry out or burn.
- Lift the parchment paper and remove the donuts from the air fryer.
- Serve immediately.
Note: If you see steam coming off from your donuts, then you should wait a couple of minutes so that they cool down a bit and don’t burn your fingers.
How to reheat donuts in a toaster oven?
You can always use your countertop toaster oven if you want to reheat donuts without heating your big oven. Follow these steps to reheat your donuts in a toaster oven:
- Heat your toaster oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wrap each donut in aluminum foil or cover it with a damp paper towel or kitchen towel. This will make your donuts soft.
- If you’re looking for a crispy exterior, then simply brush the donuts with butter or oil—no need to cover them.
- Reheat the donuts for 5 minutes, or until they’re warm to your liking.
How to reheat donuts in a pan?
If you wish to reheat your donuts on the stovetop, you can warm them up in a pan. Here’s how:
- Take a pan and lightly grease it with oil or butter + oil.
- Heat the oil initially at high heat for 1 minute and then turn it to medium heat.
- Fry your donuts for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Another alternate method is cutting the donut in half and frying the donut cut side down.
- If your donuts are stale, sprinkle a little water in the pan and cover the pan with a lid for another minute.
- Place the donuts onto a paper towel to help remove excess oil.
- Serve and enjoy!
How to reheat glazed donuts?
Here’s how you can reheat glazed donuts:
- Put your donut on a microwave-safe dish.
- Place the dish in the microwave and heat the donut at 15-second intervals.
- Keep observing so that the glaze doesn’t melt off.
Tips on keeping donuts fresh
We have some tips and tricks for you that will help increase the shelf life of your donuts. These tips will also help maintain their freshness for longer. Here’s what you need to look out for:
- Put your donuts in an airtight container or storage bag. However, freshly baked donuts can be left out at room temperature for 1-2 days max.
- Make sure to keep the donuts in a cool and dry place.
- Store them in a paper bag by wrapping them in a napkin.
- Insert them in an airtight bag or container before putting them in the fridge or freezer.
- Wrap them in aluminum foil.
How long do donuts last?
- Plain donuts, without any fillings, such as powdered, glazed, frosted donuts, keep well for 1-2 days on the counter given that they’re stored properly.
- Plain donuts can stay good for 1 week in the fridge.
- Cream-filled donuts need to be refrigerated to stay well for 3-5 days.
- If kept in the freezer, you can store donuts for 2-3 months.
How do you store leftover donuts?
To store your donuts, wrap them up in plastic wrap or foil to prevent them from drying out. Then store them in an airtight container. They will keep fresh for longer this way.
If you wish to store your donuts at room temperature, make sure you store them in a cool, dry place, away from sunlight. They can keep well at room temperature for up to 2 days. They can then be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. For cream-filled donuts, store them in the refrigerator immediately because they might develop a sour flavor otherwise.
How to freeze donuts?
These are the steps to freeze your donuts:
- Take a baking tray and line it with wax or parchment paper.
- Place your donuts on the prepared tray and ensure they do not touch each other.
- Leave it in the freezer for approximately 2-3 hours to solidify the donuts.
- Once they have frozen solid, transfer them to a freezer-safe Ziploc bag and remove any excess air from the bag.
Note: You can use a straw to suck out the excess air from the bag; this works like a DIY vacuum sealer!
- This way, you can store donuts in the freezer for 2-3 months.
How to thaw frozen donuts?
To defrost donuts, remove them from the freezer bag and put them on the countertop for 1 hour or additional 30 minutes if needed. You can microwave them for 10 to 15 seconds to help warm them up as well.
Note: Remove the wrappings from the glazed donut, if any, so that the glaze doesn’t stick to the wrapping as it defrosts.
Related FAQs to reheating donuts
Are donuts OK to eat the next day?
Yes! If stored in a cool, dry place, your donuts (not cream-filled) are good to be eaten the next day. Cream-filled donuts should be kept refrigerated, though.
Can Krispy Kreme donuts be reheated?
Yes! Your Krispy Kreme donuts can be reheated in the microwave in just a few seconds or minutes.
Should donuts be eaten hot or cold?
Donuts should be eaten as soon as they’re cooked so that you can enjoy them while they’re fresh and warm. However, most glazed and frosted donuts taste best when they’re cold. It depends on your preference, really.
Concluding our thoughts on reheating donuts!
There’s nothing better than warm, fresh donuts. If you deal with leftovers, you must be dealing with the inevitable stale taste that comes with leftover donuts- we don’t want that!
With the correct reheating method from the 5 we have discussed, you can remove their stale taste and restore their freshness. Let our article will be your ultimate guide to reheating donuts!