Rotisserie chicken is a very healthy way of consuming chicken. Moreover, it is very tasty, tender, and juicy. It is also quite cheap in stores when you compare it to other meats like cooked pork. You can also store some of it for the future to put in sandwiches or salads. That is why many people wonder whether rotisserie chicken freezes well or not.
Yes, rotisserie chicken freezes really well and tastes as good as new when reheated! It can last for about 3 to 4 months in the freezer, but you can store it for even longer if you want. However, this will cause the chicken to lose its flavor.
How to freeze rotisserie chicken
For freezing rotisserie chicken, you have two options. Either you can freeze a whole rotisserie chicken or shred it before freezing. Using a whole rotisserie chicken can take up a lot of space in your freezer. If you do not have that much space, you should shred the chicken before freezing.
- First of all, make sure that your chicken is not hot. If you have just cooked it, let it cool in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- If you are using shredded chicken, wrap it in 2 to 4 layers of plastic wrap.
- Else, if you are using a whole chicken, take a large airtight bag and put the chicken in it.
- Now press all of the air out of the bag or the plastic wrap and ensure no air bubbles.
- Put your chicken in the freezer. The recommended temperature for this is anything around 0°F. If you use anything lower than that, the chicken’s quality and taste might deteriorate.
To learn whether you can refrigerate rotisserie chicken properly, click here!
How to properly reheat frozen rotisserie chicken
Now, if you want to use your frozen rotisserie chicken, you need to reheat it properly to retain its flavor. You can follow the steps mentioned below to reheat your rotisserie chicken correctly:
- To use your frozen rotisserie chicken, take it out of the freezer and let it sit on the counter.
- If you are using a whole rotisserie chicken, you should put it in the fridge overnight before defrosting. If you don’t have the space for that in your fridge, take a tub of cold water and put the chicken in it overnight.
- Now, after the chicken is completely defrosted, thaw your whole chicken. Freezing the chicken in smaller portions at first will make the thawing process extremely quick.
- Now, your chicken is ready to be reheated. Just simply turn on your oven, preheat it to around 375°F, and put your chicken in it for about 20 minutes. Be sure to put some chicken broth or water in the baking tray.
Is your rotisserie chicken pink? Is it fine to eat it when it’s pink or not? Learn now!
Can store-bought rotisserie chicken be frozen?
Yes, a store-bought rotisserie chicken can also be frozen. The process is exactly the same as for home-cooked Rotisserie chicken. Just make sure to freeze it the same day you bought it from the store.
The result won’t be different except for the flavor based on who has cooked it!
Rotisserie chicken, both home-cooked and store-bought, can freeze well, provided you follow the right steps. To reuse the chicken, simply let it defrost for a few hours and then bake it in the oven for some time, as we’ve explained. It’s as simple as that! Happy cooking.